The best guide for a successful relocation


Work permits for Norway



Depending on your country of origin, a work permit may be required before taking up employment in Norway, and should be applied for at the Norwegian consulate in your home country. There are also a number of agencies within Norway that can help facilitate the process of getting a visa or permit from within the country.

Work permits in Norway

Generally speaking, citizens of EU/EEA countries (including the UK) do not need a work permit or need to apply for a residence permit in Norway for a short time. Information about work permits and regulations for both EEA and non-EEA citizens are available from the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration ( NAV ( also gives information on work permits for individual countries. NAV is the state entity that handles all work-related issues. They are a good resource when looking for a job.

If you are an EEA national and have a valid identity card or passport, you can legally reside and work in Norway without a visa for three months. The same applies to members of your family who are also EEA nationals. Family members who are not EEA nationals must have a valid passport, and be able to document that they are members of your household, or that you support them. Skilled workers are exempt for six months.

Business permit for Norway

Due to an organised public sector and an interest in foreign investment, starting up a company in Norway is relatively easy and inexpensive for expats. Sole proprietorship doesn’t require any start-up capital, while an LLC requires a starting capital of 100,000 NOK. Having said that, being an entrepreneur or running a business in Norway can be daunting. The support structure that is in place for employees is not in place for business owners and self-employed persons.

There is a lot of paperwork and many rules required to do business legally in Norway, and it can get confusing. However, there are several companies that offer services to guide you through the process of starting up and running a business, such as and the Agency for Business Development Service, run by the City of Oslo (

One golden rule is that you must register the company with the Brønnøysund Register Centre ( The registration fee varies depending on what kind of business you are registering. The fees are renewed annually, and you will receive an invoice by mail.

Depending on what kind of company you start, you may need an auditor, a general manager, and a board. You will also need a lawyer and an accountant. is a great resource in English for all the information and documents you may need for starting a business.






Copyright © 2012. All Rights Reserved